Join the Community College Completion Commitment!
The Center for Community College Student Engagement joined five other influential community college organizations in signing a commitment to boost student completion rates by 50% over the next decade at the closing of the 2010 American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) Convention. Fellow signatories include AACC, the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT), the League for Innovation in the Community College, the National Institute for Staff and Organization Development (NISOD), and the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
The pledge states an ambitious goal for the community college field: producing 50 percent more students with high quality degrees and certificates by 2020, while increasing access and quality. It asks community college leaders, faculty, and staff "to identify ways to help students understand the added value of degrees and certifications, and to help them progress toward their goals.” The pledge calls upon elected officials “to create the policy conditions that engage, support and reward community colleges in their work to strengthen student success.”
The Center endorses this public pledge as a way to bring the “completion agenda” to the forefront of community college work, encouraging institutions to shift their focus to encompass both access and student success.
To assist community college leaders in accepting the completion challenge for their institutions, AACC and ACCT have provided a draft template (below) that can be adopted, adapted, or used in other ways. Please keep us informed of any action your college takes to accept the completion challenge as this information will be valuable to all organizations involved.
- American Association of Community Colleges
- Association of Community College Trustees
- The Center for Community College Student Engagement
- League for Innovation in the Community College
- National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- Complete College America
- Meeting the Nation’s 2020 Goal: State Targets for Increasing the Number and Percentage of College Graduates with Degrees (PDF)
- Sample Completion Template for Community Colleges
- Texas Regional Action Plan for Postsecondary Completion (PDF)
- U.S. Department of Education College Completion Tool Kit (PDF)
- Dec. 9, 2011 - Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society - Why Completion Matters: Executive Director Goes on the Road to Promote Completion Agenda
- Aug. 8, 2011 - Community College Week - POV: Earning an Associate Degree: The Achievement that Lasts a Lifetime
- Nov. 23, 2010 - Community College Times - Establishing a culture of completion
- Nov. 19, 2010 - Community College Times - Chicago prepares for 'reinvention' of college system
- Nov. 17, 2010 - Community College Times - Commission develops strategy to increase completion in Calif.
- Nov. 15, 2010 - Community College Times - Corporations weigh in on completion agenda
- Nov. 12, 2010 - Inside Higher Education - Group Wants Million More Calif. Community College Grads
- Nov. 11, 2010 - Community College Times - College leaders focus on student completion
- Nov. 2, 2010 - Community College Times - A month after White House summit, colleges are busy at work
- Oct. 21, 2010 - Community College Times - Student success committee mulls over its mission
- Oct. 5, 2010 - Community College Times - White House summit emphasizes public-private partnerships
- Oct. 4, 2010 - Community College Times - New public-private initiatives join college completion agenda
- Sept. 29. 2010 - Community College Times - Lumina announces grants to help adults complete degrees
- Sept. 27, 2010 - Community College Times - Cities to link K-12, community colleges to boost college completion
- Sept. 8, 2010 - The Chronicle of Higher Education - Nonprofit Group Steps Up Campaign to Get More Hispanic Students to Complete College
- Aug. 11, 2010 - Community College Times - Reaching student completion goals will require cultural, financial shifts on campuses
- July 7, 2010 - Education Week - Community Colleges Unite to Improve Completion Rates
- July 6, 2010 - Community College Times - Completion is the focus for Sygielski's term
- June 1, 2010 - Inside Higher Education - Moving the Needle
- June 14, 2010 - Community College Times - With completion as a goal, colleges look to rebalance
- April 21, 2010 - Inside Higher Education - What the Pledge Means
- April 20, 2010 - Community College Times - College organizations target student success
- April 20, 2010 - The Chronicle of Higher Education - 6 Community College Groups Pledge to Improve Completion Rates
Note: You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print PDF files. Click on the icon below to download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.